These Board Policies (Board Policy Handbook) have been developed to highlight and support the very important governance function of the Board. In addition to clearly defining the role of the Board, the role of the Superintendent and the delegation of authority from the Board to the Superintendent, it includes the following as policies:
- Foundational statements which provide guidance and direction for all activities within the District.
- Directions for how the Board itself is to function and how individual trustees are to conduct themselves; how Board committees and representatives are to function.
- Statements as to how appeals and hearings will be conducted.
- Non-delegable matters such as policy-making and school closures.
- Specific matters which the Board has chosen not to delegate to the Superintendent.
These Board Policies are intended to be supplemented by Administrative Procedures (Administrative Procedures Manual); the primary written documents by which the Superintendent directs staff. The Administrative Procedures must be entirely consistent with these Board Policies.
The development of two separate and distinct documents is meant to reinforce the distinction in this District between the Board's responsibility to govern and the Superintendent's executive or administrative duties.
It is to be noted that the electronic versions of both the Board Policy Handbook and the Administrative Procedures Manual as well as any other handbooks/manuals referenced are deemed the most current documents available.