School District #47 is excited to continue building its StrongStart programs in Powell River schools.
StrongStart BC is government initiated program offered in public schools throughout the province of BC. This initiative supports smooth and successful kindergarten transitions for children and families, supports families as the primary educators of their children, and makes school facilities and resources available to the preschool population. This free program runs as a drop-in for children birth to pre-kindergarten entry who are accompanied by their parent/caregiver. StrongStart also encourages the development of support between families, so encourages families to bring one unrelated child in addition to immediate family.
HISTORY OF STRONGSTART IN POWELL RIVER
In September 2009 three Powell River elementary schools offered programs: Henderson Elementary School, James Thomson Elementary School and Kelly Creek Community School. StrongStart Outreach on the ORCA Bus was added in February 2009 to address the learning needs of children in more remote neighbourhoods. During the 2013/2014 school year a new program at Stepping Stones was successfully piloted in Westview Elementary, and in September 2014, Early Learning programs in School District 47 were adapted to include a StrongStart Outreach program offered at Westview Elementary. In the spring of 2016, space constraints at James Thomson Elementary made it necessary to move the James Thomson StrongStart to Edgehill Elementary.
The Early Learning team uses data from provincial reports and responds to trends and needs in the district to plan, adapt and fine-tune programs in the School District. In response to these trends, the following changes have been made to School District Early Learning Programs for the 2016/2017 school year:
- Stepping Stones (Westview Elementary) will be open 3 days per week: Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00am-noon.
- James Thomson StrongStart Outreach will be closed. The ORCA Bus will include visits to Wildwood (please consult the ORCA Bus Schedule). The James Thomson program has moved to Edgehill Elementary. The Edgehill StrongStart Outreach program will be open 3 days per week: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 9:00am-noon. The program will run in portable #1 (under the covered area to the right of the Edgehill school office).
- Both Henderson StrongStart and Kelly Creek StrongStart will be open 5 days per week.
- Henderson will be open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:45am-11:45am, and Wednesday 11:45am-2:45pm.
- Kelly Creek will be open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:30am-11:30am and Thursday 11:30am-2:30pm
Program schedules can be found by clicking the links for the individual school/program sites.
The StrongStart Outreach: ORCA Bus schedule varies and can be found on the StrongStart Outreach: Orca Bus site.
StrongStart programs run throughout the school year following the elementary school calendar (programs will not be in session on statutory holidays, two weeks at Christmas and at Spring Break as well as all elementary school district professional development days).
Each centre is facilitated by a certified Early Childhood Educator (ECE). Programs and activities are adapted to suit the age of participating children. Each child participating in StrongStart is registered with the Ministry of Education after completing the StrongStart registration form. To complete the registration process parents are asked to bring an official piece of identification (birth certificate, permanent residence card, certificate of citizenship, aboriginal status card, passport/visa). Registration information is used by the province to evaluate, plan and develop preschool programs provincially.
For questions, comments or to check schedules at each centre, contact:
Phone: (604) 485-6271 ext 2244
School Board Office: 4351 Ontario Avenue.