This web page has been created to provide you with information on the general scope and progress of provincial teacher job action in British Columbia.
As the labour dispute progresses, we will endeavour to keep you informed on a regular basis:
- Visit us here at www.sd47.bc.ca, or follow us on twitter - @sd47_board/
- Contact your school principal if you have any additional questions regarding the teacher job action
Labour Dispute Information and Updates
Message from Superintendent regarding school startup - Aug 28th, 2014
Letter regarding year-end reporting, final grades, and summer school - July 2, 2014.
Message from Superintendent - June 12, 2014
Message from Superintendent - June 11, 2014
Letter to parents regarding student walkout - June 3, 2014
Message from Superintendent - May 29, 2014
Information for parents regarding BCTF strike action - May 25, 2014
Message from Superintendent - May 23, 2014
Parents might also wish to review information posted on the BC Public School Employers’ Association (BCPSEA) websites at: http://www.bcpsea.bc.ca.
Parents might also wish to review information regarding teacher bargaining on the new BC Ministry of Education Parent Info Website at: http://bcparentinfo.ca/
Parents might also wish to review information posted on the BCTF website at: http://www.bctf.ca.or http://afairdeal.ca/
Message from Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jay Yule
Link to message from Superintendent regarding school start up. Aug 28, 2014
The purpose of this letter is to provide you with an update on the provincial labour dispute. It is disappointing and unfortunate that the BC Teachers' Federation (BCTF) and the BC Public School Employers' Association (BCPSEA) have not been able to reach a settlement. It seems likely that the strike will continue and schools will not open as scheduled on September 2nd. We continue to urge both parties to find a negotiated settlement over the weekend to ensure schools can open on time.
In the event that the strike and or lockout continues into next week, please arrange for supervision of your children. Schools will remain open but we will not be able to offer our regular instruction as we do not anticipate that unionized staff will cross picket lines. Safety and security of our students is of the upmost importance. Students that arrive at school while picket lines are in place, will be cared for by the Principal or Vice Principal until contact is made with their Parent/Guardian and they can be safely returned to their homes.
We encourage parents to monitor our website at www.sd47.bc.ca and the media for emerging information over the long weekend and into September.
We regret the situation we find ourselves in and sincerely hope that through the use of a mediator, the parties will come to a quick settlement and have students back in schools next week.
Thank you for your understanding.
Dr. Jay Yule
Superintendent of Schools
Teacher Job Action - Background:
Here you will find background information regarding the current Teacher Job Action in British Columbia:
- The BCTF is the union of professionals representing public school teachers in British Columbia. All public school teachers belong to the BCTF and their local teachers' association.
- BCPSEA is the accredited bargaining agent for the province's 60 public boards of education. BCPSEA negotiates provincially with the BCTF (the teachers' union) for a provincial teachers' collective agreement.
- Individual boards of education do not bargain locally with their local teachers' associations to negotiate a collective agreement.
- While negotiation of a new collective agreement takes place at the provincial level, it is the hope of the Powell River Board of Education that a timely and mutually agreeable outcome be reached.