Please read the following important information regarding Summer School 2018 prior to completing the registration.
All summer school courses will be offered at OVEC (Oceanview Education Centre), at 7105 Nootka Street.
- Grade 8 and 9
- Sessions run in-class from July 4th until 17th.
- Students in Gr. 8 and 9 choose the appropriate session based on taking Math (A: 9:00-11:00) or English (B: 11:00-1:00) or both.
- Grades 10-12:
- Classes start on Wednesday, July 4th and end on Friday, July 27th. No extensions beyond July 27th will be granted.
- Class sessions will run 9:00-11:00 and 11:00-1:00. Students pre-select at least one of these two hour sessions and attend that session daily until work expectations are completed.
- Students may register in June and start later in the summer school session, if the plan is workable.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate students who register after July 4th, but students should be aware that they may have a brief waiting time prior to being able to start their courses. Each student will work with a staff member to establish reasonable completion timelines which students will be expected to work toward. Late starters must still complete course work by Friday, July 27th.
- Students may work on assignments from home, but must attend summer school daily.
- Students will be contacted by their school counsellor or may go ahead and register if they are aware of a failed class.
- Students may register, by printing this form2018 Student-Parent Portion of Registration.docx, filling out and returning Brooks School by Thursday, June 28th.
- Students are to attend their registered time on Wednesday, July 4th AT OCEANVIEW
There are no fees for students who were registered students of SD#47 (Powell River) during this school year.
How Summer School Works
1. On the first day at summer school, students come to OVEC at their scheduled time.
2. Students will need the following supplies throughout the course and should come prepared with them on their first day: Pen or pencil; binder to organize work; loose-leaf paper; and calculator if needed.
3. For Grades 10 – 12, most assignments and tests are "online". Students will get access to their on-line assignments on the first day. All quizzes and tests are done in class under teacher supervision.
4. Students in Grades 8 – 9 attend class sessions from July 4th to 17th:
- Math: 9:00 to 11:00
- English: 11:00 to 1:00
5. Work is done at OVEC during students' scheduled time and at home. It is recommended that students do work at home to speed up progress through summer school. However, daily attendance in scheduled blocks is required.
6. Teachers will be available at all times to provide help to students.
- Ask for help
- Keep track of what you have completed
- Bring a pen or pencil to every class
- Be on Time!
- Cheating will not be tolerated.
- Remain in class, working until directed by a teacher to take a break or leave for the day. Return from breaks promptly
8. The harder you work, the sooner you get finished. You only stay in summer school until you have finished your courses.
9. Upon passing your courses, next year's timetable will be changed to reflect your success.
2018 Student-Parent Portion of Registration.docx