StrongStart Outreach on the ORCA Bus
2020/2021 School Year
The SD47 Early Learning team has considered provincial guidelines, procedures and protocols and have come up with a plan.
Outdoor StrongStart/ORCA Bus Program: StrongStart Outreach, in collaboration with the ORCA Bus project, will start offering an outdoor program on Wednesday September 30, 2020.
***SCROLL DOWN TO SEE SCHEDULE***
Details of the plan include:
The program will take place outside the bus. Participants should come prepared for any weather. The program will be offered in parks around the community. The StrongStart team has created suggestions on how to prepare for an outdoor program: StrongStart Go Gear.pdf
- All participating children must be registered with the school district before they can attend.
- Completed registration forms are emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. ALL REGISTRATION FORMS MUST BE SENT WITH THE CHILD'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE (other acceptable ID include: Certificate of Citizenship, Documents issued by Immigration Canada, Canadian Passport/Visa, Permanent Resident Card, Aboriginal Status Card).
- A fillable registration form can be accessed here: StrongStart Registration fillable.pdf. Registration forms are also available at the School Board Office (4351 Ontario Avenue).
SIGN UP FOR PROGRAM:
- Participants will sign up to attend our program.
- Families will express interest in attending by leaving a message at 604-414-2635. After leaving a message, families who receive phone confirmation of registration with the school district will be able to attend.
- Electronic attendance will be collected using either our iPad or personal devices by scanning a QR code.
- As part of attendance families will be asked to review the Know the COVID-19 Symptoms Daily Health Check document and verified that we have not answered yes to any of the questions each time they attend the program. The document can be found here: Daily Health Check
Participants are required to agree to the contents of the StrongStart Safety Policies and Procedures before attending their first session. This can be found here: StrongStart COVID Policies.Procedures.pdf.
We will start out slowly to make sure we run programs that are in line with current suggested practice. We hope to add more program options as we progress through this school year. Watch for notices on the School District Early Learning webpage.
Thank-you for your patience as we navigate this new way of offering programs.
Dress for the Weather
School District #47 StrongStart Outreach provides exciting play-based early learning programming on the ORCA Bus from September through June.
ORCA stands for “On the Road with Children’s Activities” – a mobile preschool activity bus designed to bring engaging preschool activities and resources to remote areas of the community. The bus is an initiative of the Powell River and District United Way in partnership with School District #47. The ORCA Bus started making stops in rural areas around Powell River in February 2009. School District #47 has been involved in planning the innovative project since 2005. The bus provides space for all agencies to connect with young families. Consult the ORCA schedule to see what agency will be on-board.
All children participating in the StrongStart programs on-board the bus are registered with the Ministry of Education. Please bring official identification to complete the registration process. School District Early Learning programs run throughout the school year following the elementary school calendar. This means school district programs will not be running on statutory holidays, two weeks at Christmas and at Spring Break, as well as all elementary school district professional development days.
The ORCA Bus schedule can be found below and also at http://www.orcabuspr.ca/.
STRONGSTART/ORCA BUS OUTDOOR SCHEDULE
*** see sign-up information above.