Powell River Board of Education
Learners Preparing for the Challenges of Tomorrow
Student Questions
I have turned in my signed copy of my school’s Acceptable Use Policy.  Can I start bringing my device to school?

Answer: Yes! 

I have my laptop with me in class.  How do I get on the internet now?

Answer: Most laptops or other personal devices, will detect a wireless connection when you are near one.  Most of the time your technology device will ask you if you would like to join the SD47-BYOD WiFi network.  When prompted, choose SD47-BYOD from the list.  Once you choose this network, you will be prompted to enter your network username and password. 

My laptop is not prompting me to choose a wireless network, is there another way to connect?

Answer: In the settings menu of your device, there is usually an icon for a network.  Go to this icon and choose SD47-BYOD from the list or prompt your computer to look for wireless networks in range.  Consult your owner’s manual for exact directions for accessing a wireless network (or Google it from a school computer).

I brought my iPad to school to use in the classroom, but my teacher said I couldn’t use it in their classroom.  Can I still use it?

Answer: The teacher in the classroom has the final say on procedures in the classroom.  If he or she asks you not to use your device, then you will follow those directions.  Your school principal may be able to provide additional clarification on these types of issues.

I just can’t get my laptop to connect to the network.  Can I get some help from someone?

Answer: It is not the responsibility of your teachers or other SD47 staff to troubleshoot individual devices.  Check your device owner’s manual for issues concerning connectivity. 

If my device won’t work, will someone from the school district fix the device?

Answer: It is not the responsibility of the SD47 staff to fix/repair/troubleshoot personal devices.  Check the owner’s manual for issues that could arise or take the device to a computer repair shop. 

I need to save my work to the SD47 network.  Why can’t I access this resource?

Answer: You are on the SD47-BYOD network.  It is not the same as the network you would normally access from a school computer.  You will not see your shared folder, so you will need to save your work in another place.  Some options include a flash drive, your own hard drive, or your class’s SharePoint Site.

I need to print the spreadsheet I just created, why is there no printer listed when I try this?

Answer: Like the shared folders, printers are networked differently and may not be available when you are connected to the SD47-BYOD Network.  Some printing solutions include email the document to your teacher to print, save it to a flash drive and/or print it from home or another SD47 computer.  Keep in mind that using school printers in the classroom or other learning spaces is at the discretion of the teacher or school administrator. 

My laptop was stolen when I brought it to school.  Who should I contact about this?

Answer: Bringing your own technology tools to school can be useful, however some risks are involved as well.  It is always a good idea to record the device’s serial number in case of theft.  SD47 is not responsible for the theft of a device nor are we responsible for any damage done to the device while at school.  Any time a theft occurs, you should contact a school administrator to make them aware of the offense. 

Why am I filtered on my own computer? Shouldn’t I be able to see what I want to on my own device?

Answer: Student filtering is a requirement of all BC schools.  The network you are using while at school belongs to the Province of BC and will be filtered. 

Am I still held accountable for the Acceptable Use Policy I signed at the beginning of the school year even though this is my own personal computer?

Answer: Yes.  The Acceptable Use Policy for the school remains in effect even when you are using your own laptop, smartphone, iPad, etc.  Violating the terms of the AUP would be a student code of conduct violation and would be dealt with by the school principal.